Saturday, June 8, 2013

Stones as a remembrance
Quick thoughts...
It seems it has been forever since I posted anything here in this blog.
Life. It just sort of takes over.
Organizing. Thinking. Trying to finish projects and have time to reflect or relax.
As I was organizing my photos for an upcoming project I revisited some images I took in September 2012. I don't know why I never really looked closely at this one. I do like the angle and the hint of the view beyond. I suppose you could attach more meaning to that statement...

Stones. Lined up to say, hello? To give honor or respect? Just to say, 

"I am thinking of you." 
I find this tradition of leaving stones, or even a piece of the earth on a grave to be very important and touching. To me it has more meaning than simply placing flowers.

This is beautiful Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah GA. I know I have posted some photos before. 
I have so many I could publish a book.
The cemetery is serene and it is immense in size. With the flowing moss- hung trees and a warm southern breeze, it just makes a wonderful place to sit and just think. Meditate; or sit as in Zen practice. 

I definitely could see doing that.

"Practice has to be a process of endless disappointment. We have to see that everything we demand (and even get) eventually disappoints us. This discovery is our teacher." Beck, Charlotte J.; Smith, Steven A. (2009-03-11). Nothing Special

2 comments:

  1. I love cemetery photos and I love visiting the old ones. I even went to the one in iran where they bury their dead in caves....you are right about leaving some earth on a grave, or stones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you know how much I am intrigued by old cemeteries. This shot has tremendous character with it's strong lines and subject matter. The stones are fascinating. I once saw eggplant left around a grave. All very interesting. So much room for interpretation with this capture. Love the texture of the old stone against the softened background. Really, really like this one. It grabs me.........

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!